Sunday, May 4, 2008

They still need an education, but some things have changed.

After reading Christenbury describe the similarities and differences that exist in schools today I realized, as she said, that school has not changed much in structure but the purpose of the school is growing to include personal needs and not just education.  This represents the change of times.  While she mentions this in the chapter, I think it is important as future teachers that we remember that whether we like it or not or job of giving students of education is evolving.  Students are looking more and more to their teachers for advice, encouragement, comfort, someone they can trust.  People are getting busier and busier with life and having time to invest in your own  child in some instances gets put on the back burner.  Students look at teachers as someone that can give them a chance.  Students will rebel against us because we are authority figures but am I willing to give up on students, give up on the future because kids are being kids or will I be able to see through that and reach students.  If you just read all of this thanks for reading my ramblings.

1 comment:

Kendra Moberly said...

I read your "ramblings." I think you are right - we hold an increased responsibility in the lives of our students to be for them what some of their parents really should be. That's a daunting task, but one that we are going to have to embrace. And in all honesty, there are aspects of it that I look forward to - just knowing that you are making a difference. It sounds cheesy, but its true.