Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chapter 11

What a chapter to end on. I can see various reasons why teachers could get burnt out on teaching. I worked with a teacher while I was in high school for a cadet teaching program who said she was burnt out with the job but kept doing it because she felt she was too old to do anything else. Something I noticed about her, and also about other teachers who have become burnt out, is that she had a very defined routine for her classroom.

Every day the students would come into the room, and there would be a D.O.L. (Daily Oral Language for those who may have never had these in high school) on the board for the students to complete. After five minutes, two students would correct the sentences on the board, and they would move on to a story in the book. They would read the story aloud with the reader moving up and down along the rows of students. After reading the story, they would answer the questions at the back of the story, and whatever questions they didn't finish in class were taken home as homework. They turned these questions in daily. Everyday, it was the same routine, excluding the one novel they read each semester and a trip to the library every two weeks.

How could you not get burnt out if you taught using the same exact routine for twenty-something years? I think that an important part of staying fresh and excited about your job is changing things up once in a while. If you're teaching the same routine seven times a day for twenty years, of course it's going to get old.

2 comments:

Priscilla Wilson said...

My mentor teacher told me she was also sick of it. THis is her last year. She calls herself a statistic -most teachers quit after five years. I hope I last longer because it seems to be a lot of fun so far.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! How boring. I would dislike my job if I did the same thing every day. I know that you won't be a statistic, Josh!