Sunday, May 4, 2008

Burnout...

Chapter 11 in Christenbury really got me thinking a lot about burnout. I have a mother for a teacher, and she has taught for 25+ years and doesn't plan on retiring any time soon. How do you avoid burnout? I think a lot of it has to do with your mental makeup, the support you get from other teachers, and what kind of administration you work under. Christenbury correlates talking about certain things and burnout, but I think that the burnout influences the talk, not the other way around. I also heard one of the coolest teachers I've ever had (Tita Baumlin) say recently that you have to have passions outside of your work environment in order to survive and be happy...so I guess that's some advice from an awesome, experienced teacher as well.

I do love the encouragement Christenbury gives about us keeping up our reading as teachers. If we expect students to read, love reading, or get anything out of reading, then I do believe we must be continuing to do the same. Teachers who are out of touch or don't care, reflect that in their teaching...and hopefully teachers that really love reading reflect that as well.

1 comment:

Priscilla Wilson said...

I think Tita Baumlin is great too, and anything she says I would be willing to bet on. It seems like a common sense thing to have other passions, but hearing someone say it confirms it in your mind, so it's nice to get feedback from experienced teachers that you can tell love their job, such as Tita.