Sunday, May 4, 2008

If I hear the term "burnout" one more time...

Burnout is all anybody is talking about lately. At least it seems that way. My husband is a teacher (special ed and science) and he talks about his colleagues being burned out. I have several very good friends who are teachers, and they constantly talk about the burnout rate. I read about the burnout rate in text books. Etc, etc, etc. I'm tired of hearing about it. Any employee of any profession can suffer from burnout. It's all about how you handle yourself. Have outlets (as Kendra mentioned), make your classes fun and full of variety, enjoy yourself, keep your sense of humor, and think of how fortunate you are to be doing something you love and getting paid (albeit not that well) for it!
I would be interested to see who of us are still teaching in 10 or 15 years. We've all got such potential to be great teachers, but I know the stresses of the profession will probably get to some of us. I don't see myself giving up on teaching any time soon. I've spent waaaay too much money and time on this to give up on teaching easily. I'm really excited about my first year of teaching next year. I'm nervous as crap, but excited nonetheless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is necessary to have an outlet like you said. I am already planning on taking piano lessons when I begin teaching!

Keri said...

One thing that keeps teachers in the profession is a good mentor, some person to share ideas and give advice.

I agree. I think all professions have "burnout." I couldn't stand jobs that I had that were 8:00 to 5:00. I was a clock-watcher.

I think the most important think you mentioned was "have fun." Many people don't think kids should have fun in school. Many teachers don't have fun at school either. But, I don't think it has to be that way.

Stacy said...

I know that it is possible for everyone to get burned out on everything. Look at us, we are completely burned out on school!! THank Gosh its over so soon! I think that changing the day everyday and making a special connection with help rid us of this feeling. Also, have an outlet...you are completely right. Just find a hobby outside of school and work that is fun and interesting to you. Some personal time is what will really make a teacher stay on his/her game.

Priscilla Wilson said...

You go boy! That's right. We can get burned out doing whatever we do if we let ourselves. Just think about all those factory workers standing on an assembley line wishing they could be teaching,(that'll cure the burnout), like my Mom when I was growing up. She was a single Mom and had to support us, but always wanted to teach. She waxed cups at Sweetheart cup factory. Now she substitutes and is finally getting to teach like she always wanted.