Sunday, May 4, 2008

Avoiding Burnout

Since the first day of the first education class that I took, I have been warned about the awful aspects of teaching. I've been told the statistics, that half of teachers quit their first year. I've been told that I would cry on the drive home because of the horrible encounters I was going to face. I've been told that the administrators will destroy my love for teaching with their evil regulations. I have also been told about the cynical robotic behavior of the students that I will be teaching. All of these warnings and I still stayed in the education program. Why? Because I don't give a rat's ass what other people think my reaction will be to these things.

At this point I might just succeed so that I can spite the ones who told me it would be too hard. I think that some of the teachers quit because they hate their students going in. Before the first day begins they decide that they hate their students. I always wonder where the hell these failed teachers go when they quit. Do they piss away their hard earned education for a shitty job at Wal-Mart? Do they get a different degree? Wherever they go I say good riddance. We don't need teachers who are willing to throw in the towel after a couple of tough years. When I start teaching I want to be around people who like what they are doing.

I think that going into this career you need to remember what it was like being in the position of your students. Don't just assume that your lessons aren't going over because of the lazy kids. Maybe you are presenting the lesson in a boring way that makes your students want to cut themselves. You should always assume that it is your presentation of the material, not that the students are lazy. Don't forget what it's like to be in a boring class with a teacher that hates you.

I don't plan on being a statistic. I don't care what the warnings are. I thought long and hard about what career I wanted to persue and I chose teaching because I thought that it would be fulfilling and meaningful. That and I still remember how terrible some of my high school teachers were and I feel like I have to prove to them that you don't have to be a boring jerk to get students to learn.

4 comments:

whitneyrose said...

I feel the same way as you do, Kevin. I've wrestled with the thought of becoming a teacher for about nine years now. I was English Ed during my undergrad, and then I switched to just English. However, hindsight is 20/20 and I should have stayed English Ed during my undergrad. This has been a long road, with people calling me "crazy" for wanting to be a teacher. I don't much care what other people say about my chosen profession...they don't have the guts or the patience to do it, so who are they to judge? I'm tired of hearing all of the negative crap about being a teacher. Do people forget why they got into teaching in the first place??

Kendra Moberly said...

you know, Kevin. I really wish you would tell us how you truly feel about teaching. I mean, you are so vague and you tend to beat around the bush. Just be honest. We really do want to know how you feel. :-)

I share the same sentiment.

Tina and Aaron said...

I couldn't agree less Kevin. I definitely feel that I could impact my students more significantly by being boring and make them hate me. After all, everyone forgets a great teacher, including you.

You did mention that you "still remember how terrible some of my high school teachers were." I didn't hear you mention any of the ones that were worth their salary.

To be remembered, that's what I want! There's a few memorable teachers from my past and present, and frankly, they all suck(ed). That's how I know and will always remember them.

In fact, the University thrives on this exact type of instruction. I actually have been re-evaluating my intentions of teaching high school for continuing and getting my Master's or PhD in Education. I'm sure this college will hire me, they certainly don't seem to have any standards.

I passed by the Ed. department the other day an saw the application. It consisted of a checklist as describe below.

Breathing?

Ability to speak, ramble, get off topic easily and never regain your thoughts?

Lack of course knowlege?

Unwavering dedication to outside interests, hobbies, or "pet-projects" that will require more of your attention than your class?

Ability to make your students hate the field they are entering before they get a chance to hate it for themselves?

(Please answer "yes" to all of the above questions dumbass. Of course you're hired, You are the only one applying.)

Katiebrarian said...

cute, stan. real cute.

but oh, so true.