Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chapter 11

Its funny as I was reading Chapter 11, I didn't really think that any new information was given, but at the same time, I was interested in what Christenbury was saying. Then I came to the part about BURNOUT. It was odd that Christenbury had brought the reasons up on why teachers don't stay in the teaching profession. See, just yesterday I was approached by a woman I know and she told me that as soon as I was done teaching she had a job waiting for me, even if it was 2 or 3 years from now since as she said, "teachers don't last long". I must have looked at her like she was crazy, not that she was saying anything I had not heard before, but it was the fact that I had never really thought about myself being one of the teachers that left the profession early, really early for the matter. This woman said it so matter of a fact, like she knew I would be calling her in a few years wanting this great job that did have quite a few perks...but it was missing one important thing, I wasn't going to be helping students and having an impact on their education and their lives! So when I read Christenbury's section on teacher burnout, I really read it (does that make sense??!!). I'm glad that she wrote about why teachers might leave after just a year or two and why teachers stay in the classroom. If I am more aware of reasons why teachers leave, I will be able to recognize them faster and hopefully be more prepared to deal with them head on rather than leave a profession I am SO excited to enter!!!!!

5 comments:

Tina and Aaron said...

I think you should have taken the other job. Teaching is over-glorified (see any of Michael's posts).

P.S. Stop stealing Franklin's tag line. ("Does that make sense?")

~Stan

...Looks like I picked a bad week to stop sniffin glue. (-Airplane)

Kendra Moberly said...

don't listen to stan. he's a punk. you'll be a great teacher. but i understand the fear - hence my own post. we can do this, we can do this.....if it was worth it for us to go BACK to school after already getting a degree, surely its something we can stick with for the long haul - and still love!

thumper1334 said...

Stan makes me laugh.

And Valerie, I agree, being aware of the reasons teachers leave is helpful because then you know what to watch out for/avoid/etc.

Elizabeth Simon said...

Oh! I like that. It is so true that we have heard what makes burn-out happen and by knowing those reasons we can be aware of the times that we may find ourselves heading in that direction.

Joshua said...

I think you're on the right track with your excitement. I think that's what a lot of teachers lose, and that's why they give it up. They lose the passion for teaching.